Markha Valley is a hidden gem nestled in the Himalayas. Discover the untouched beauty of this picturesque region, where rugged landscapes, charming villages, and high mountain passes await. Immerse yourself in the unique culture of Ladakh as you interact with welcoming locals and witness majestic views of Kang Yatse and the Himalayas. With meticulous planning and expert guidance, the Markha Valley Trek promises an unforgettable journey, offering a perfect blend of natural wonders and cultural experiences. Take this extraordinary Himalayan trek that will leave you with cherished memories and a profound connection with the mountains.
LADAKH is home to numerous natural wonders, but the most precious gift bestowed upon this magical land is the Chadar Trek. The trek is all about persistence & survival – learning to survive in the harsh terrains at sub-zero temperatures, interacting with the locals & understanding their way of living, especially in one of the most inhabitable regions in the world, while you trek across a dramatic gorge with frozen waterfalls on the frozen trail of Zanskar spanned out like a “Chadar” it acts as a mirror for the sky!
LEH is located in the northernmost parts of the country. It is traveller friendly, enchanting and a hassle-free fun town lapped in the snow-covered fringes of the Himalayas. You can explore the bustling Local bazaar, and enjoy some delicious food ranging from the local cuisine, Mughlai, Tibetan, and Chinese to Italian. Narrow footpaths, sturdy walls, and a view of snow-covered mountains make you fall in love with the place instantly. There are a number of interesting places and monasteries to visit in and around Leh, such as – Shanti Stupa, The Leh Palace, the monasteries of Shey, Hemis, Alchi, Thiksey and Lamayuru, the Armed Forces Hall of Fame and much more!
You need more information?
- Day 1: Arrival in Leh - Transfer to Hotel
- Day 2: Acclimatization Hike to Shanti Stupa and Leh Mountain (3,500m)
- Day 3: Drive to Skiu (3,400m) - Trek to Sara (3,600m)
- Day 4: Trek from Sara to Markha (3,750m)
- Day 5: Trek from Markha to Thochungtsey (4,300m)
- Day 6: Trek from Thochungtsey to Nimaling (4,700M)
- Day 7: Trek from Nimaling to Chokdo (3,900m) via Kongmaru La (5,200m) & Drive to Leh
- Day 8: Leh Sightseeing Day
- Day 9: Departure - Fly Back
Detailed Itinerary of Markha Valley Trek:
Day 1: Arrival in Leh - Transfer to Hotel
Upon your arrival in Leh, the captivating capital of Ladakh, TrekNomads warmly welcomes you to this mesmerizing land of high-altitude beauty. We will transfer you to your comfortable hotel, allowing you to acclimatize to the thin mountain air. Take this day to rest and relax, getting accustomed to the altitude and serene surroundings. In the evening, venture out for a leisurely walk around the local market, where vibrant colours, traditional crafts, and the aroma of local delicacies will immerse you in the unique Ladakhi culture.
Day 2: Acclimatization Hike to Shanti Stupa and Leh Mountain (3,500m)
To ensure a safe and enjoyable trek, we dedicate Day 2 to acclimatization. After a hearty breakfast, get ready for a rewarding hike to Shanti Stupa, an iconic Buddhist monument offering awe-inspiring views of Leh and the surrounding landscapes. From there, we venture to a nearby Leh mountain, surrounded by nature's grandeur, providing further acclimatization amidst breathtaking scenery.
Distance covered: Approximately 5 kilometres (round trip).Time required: 2 - 3 hours.
Day 3: Drive to Skiu (3,400m) - Trek to Sara (3,600m)
The real adventure begins as we drive from Leh to Skiu, a picturesque village located along the glistening Markha River. Our trek commences from Skiu, leading us through lush valleys and charming hamlets before reaching Sara. Here, amid the tranquil ambience, we set up camp, enjoying a magical evening amidst nature's splendour.
Travel Distance covered: Approximately 90 kilometres. Time required: 2 - 3 hours.
Day 4: Trek from Sara to Markha (3,750m)
Today's trek takes us to Markha, a quaint village renowned for its vibrant culture and traditional Ladakhi architecture. Traverse through scenic landscapes, cross the river, and interact with the friendly locals, gaining insight into their way of life. As the evening descends, find yourself amidst the welcoming embrace of Markha village.
Trek distance: Approximately 20 kilometres. Time required: 6 - 7 hours.
Day 5: Trek from Markha to Thochungtsey (4,300m)
The trail now leads to Thochungtsey, a pristine camping site set against the backdrop of majestic snow-capped peaks. As we ascend, the landscapes transform, revealing the rugged beauty of the region. Capture moments of serenity and immerse yourself in the untouched splendour of the Himalayas.
Trek distance: Approximately 12 kilometres. Time required: 5 - 6 hours.
Day 6: Trek from Thochungtsey to Nimaling (4,700M)
Prepare for a day of breathtaking views as we trek to Nimaling, a high-altitude grazing ground offering stunning vistas of Kang Yatse, a prominent Himalayan peak. Embrace the vastness of the Himalayas, surrounded by pristine beauty, making this a truly unforgettable experience.
Trek distance: Approximately 10 kilometres. Time required: 4 - 5 hours.
Day 7: Trek from Nimaling to Chokdo (3,900m) via Kongmaru La (5,200m) & Drive to Leh
The pinnacle of our adventure awaits as we cross the high mountain pass of Kongmaru La at a thrilling altitude of 5,200 meters. Revel in the panoramic vistas before descending to Chokdo, where our trek concludes. From Chokdo, we bid farewell to the mountains and drive back to Leh. Enjoy the evening in Leh, reminiscing about the incredible journey.
Trek distance: Approximately 14 kilometres. Time required: 7 - 8 hours.
Day 8: Leh Sightseeing Day
Take this day to explore the captivating attractions of Leh. Visit ancient monasteries like Hemis and Thiksey, marvel at the magnetic phenomenon at Magnetic Hill, and savour the local culture at Leh market. Unwind in the serene ambience of Leh, absorbing the spiritual essence of this enchanting land.
Day 9: Departure - Fly Back
With cherished memories and a profound connection with the mountains, it's time to bid farewell to Ladakh. After breakfast, we will transfer you to the airport for your onward journey. Take with you the indelible experiences of the Markha Valley Trek, and we hope to welcome you back soon for more extraordinary adventures with TrekNomads.
Risk and Liability
We will endeavour to make your program smooth and as pleasant as possible. However, the entire course of trekking depends on the ranges of the mighty mountains, physical health, and environmental conditions. Therefore, TrekNomads shall not be responsible for any changes in the itineraries due to unavoidable circumstances and natural disasters such as landslides, road blockages, floods, snowing, cancellations of flights and delays, or any type of sickness including altitude sickness.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- We believe in leaving the mountains in a better condition, which is why we follow a no-litter policy on our treks. Each trekker will have to bring back the waste that is created during the trek.
- Trekking is best enjoyed when you’ve worn comfortable clothes. Try and avoid wearing Jeans, bright colours and heavy apparel as much as possible.
- A lighter backpack always helps you have a better trek, try and carry just as much as needed.
- Always be in sight of your trek lead, if you feel the need to stop for any reason at all, please keep the trek lead informed.
- If you do come across any reptiles, animals or even insects during the trek, please keep your calm and let it patiently pass by. Any kind of noise and panic will scare them as well.
- Do not venture out into the forest/waterfalls on your own as it may be dangerous.
- Trekking is a good adventure, having said that, it is our primary responsibility to take good care of ourselves and be compassionate towards fellow trekkers
- If, at any point, during the trek, you feel uneasy or unwell, please inform the trek lead immediately
- Tune in to the sounds of nature while on a trek and avoid carrying speakers or playing music during the course of the trek
- To help you enjoy the trek to the fullest, we avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol, and other intoxicants during the course of the trek
What is included in the tour
- 04 nights accommodation at a Deluxe Hotel in Leh on a double or triple sharing basis with dinner and breakfast
- 04 nights of tented accommodation on a double or triple-sharing basis during the trek
- Meals: Dinner on Day 1, (BF/Dinner) meals on Day 2, (BF/Lunch/Dinner) meals from Day 3 to Day 8 and BF on Day 9
- Standard vegetarian food (plus eggs) for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the trek
- Hot drinking water facility during the trekking days
- Transportation as per the itinerary by NAC Vehicle, Leh to Chilling (Day 3) & Chokdo to Leh (Day 8)
- Porter for personal luggage during the trek up to 10 kg
- Trek equipment: Sleeping bags, Mattresses, Utensils, Ropes
- Tents: Trekkers tent (twin/triple sharing), Kitchen & Dining tent, Toilet tent
- 1 Mountaineering qualified & professional trek Leader
- Local Guide (Number of guides depending on the group size)
- 1 High Altitude chef & support staff
- Porters for carrying common equipment (like rations/tents/utensils/groceries)
- Basic First Aid Kit with a portable oxygen cylinder.
- The facility of keeping extra luggage at Leh when leaving for the trek
- Personalised Dri-Fit T-shirt
- TrekNomads goodies
What is NOT included in the tour
- The cost to reach Leh and back
- Single room occupancy at Leh
- Individual Tent & Porter (available at extra cost)
- Personal accident and travel insurance
- Medical, Emergency Rescue and Evacuation cost
- Personal trekking gear
- Tips for guide, chef, porter, etc
- Local sightseeing and monastery entrance fee, camera fee, etc
- Transportation is not on a disposal basis. It is strictly as per the program, any extra running will be charged extra.
- Any other expenses incurred apart from inclusions
- All personal and medical expenses, emergency expenses like extra day stay or vehicle charges due to delays, natural calamities (landslides, floods), flight delays/rescheduling/cancellations, any accidents / medical evacuations, riots/strikes & etc.
- Trek Gradient: Difficult
- Trek Distance: 50+ Km
- Assembling Point: Leh
- Trek Duration: 30+ hours
- Average Temperature: 25 to 5 degrees (during the day) and 5 to -15 degrees (during the night)
- Season: July - September
- Nearest Airport: : Leh Airport (Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport)
- Nearest ATM: Leh Airport and Market
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Markha Valley Trek with TrekNomads:
What is the best time for Markha Valley Trek? - Discover the ideal trekking season from mid-June to mid-September for Markha Valley Trek, ensuring pleasant weather and breathtaking vistas.
How challenging is Markha Valley Trek? - Explore the moderate to difficult level of Markha Valley Trek, ideal for trekkers with prior experience and good physical fitness.
How to avoid altitude sickness during the trek? - Acclimatization days during the first two days are crucial and also following the instructions by the trek lead on drinking enough water and eating well during the trekking days.
What is the duration of Markha Valley Trek? - Unveil the 9-day adventure of Markha Valley Trek, including acclimatization days and exploration of stunning landscapes.
What are the accommodation options during the trek? - Experience 3-star hotels at Leh and cosy stays in comfortable tents with essential amenities at designated camping sites during Markha Valley Trek with TrekNomads.
What kind of meals are provided during the trek? - Relish delicious and nutritious vegetarian meals, including local and continental dishes, catered to diverse tastes and dietary preferences during Markha Valley Trek.
Is Markha Valley Trek suitable for solo travellers? - Find safety and camaraderie in Markha Valley Trek, as qualified trek leaders and support staff guide solo travellers through this unforgettable journey.
What are the cultural highlights of the trek? - Immerse yourself in rich cultural experiences, meeting friendly locals, visiting ancient monasteries, and cherishing Ladakhi heritage during Markha Valley Trek.
What are the essential trekking gear required? - Prepare for Markha Valley Trek with sturdy trekking shoes, warm clothing, rain gear, sunglasses, and more. A comprehensive packing list will be shared upon booking.
Are there age restrictions for the trek? - The recommended age range of 12 to 65 years, subject to physical fitness and medical conditions, for embarking on the Markha Valley Trek.
Disclaimer: The information provided in these FAQs is subject to change based on the latest guidelines and conditions. For the most up-to-date details, kindly refer to TrekNomads' latest information before undertaking the Markha Valley Trek.